Interdisciplinary Degree Program
The Interdisciplinary Degree Program at the Tunghai University International College is a gateway into most majors at Tunghai University for international students with limited or no Chinese ability. The first year is spent exploring various majors, completing general education requirements in English, and taking Chinese classes to expand students’ course options in their sophomore year. In the sophomore year, students declare a major in another department or a concentration in the Interdisciplinary Degree Program. The Interdisciplinary program is ideal for students who want to improve their Chinese ability and explore a variety of academic disciplines as part of a vibrant international community.
Special Features of the Program
- A unique Chinese program to improve the communication and expression skills as well as strengthen the listening, speaking, reading, and writing.
- To guide to explore the interests and develop an interdisciplinary learning ability.
- Nurturing Bilingual Environment with Teachers, Advisors, American Mentors, and Classmates.
- Interaction with Global Leaders from International Corporation and Successful Private Entrepreneurs that Lead to Internships and Jobs upon Graduation.
- Implementing a holistic, well-rounded education and cultivating students to gain an understanding of science, the humanities and social care
- Deepen professional knowledge and competencies
- Foster students' teamwork and self-expression skills
- Cultivate students with an international perspective and competitiveness
- Cultivate international experience and multiple language communication skills
- Theoretical and practical problem-solving abilities
- Global vision and passion for diversified learning
- Multilingual communication and overall decision-making abilities
- Information technology applications and leadership communication abilities
- Holistic education and a positive attitude for lifetime learning.
This Interdisciplinary Degree Program (IDP) in the Tunghai University International College is a gateway into most majors at Tunghai University for international students with limited or no Chinese ability. The first two years are spent exploring various majors, completing general education requirements in English, and taking Chinese language classes to expand students’ course options in their final two years. In the final two years, students declare a major in another department or a concertation in the International College. The IDP is ideal for students who want to improve their Chinese ability and explore a variety of academic disciplines as part of a vibrant international community.
The teachers, students, and study overseas opportunities create a unique international experience for students in the IC. The faculty of the IC is composed of both local and international teachers. Also, a third of the student population is from overseas (34 different countries). This combination of teachers and students creates a truly international environment. Moreover, the university has numerous exchange and double degree programs with leading universities around the world.
International applications at most universities in Taiwan require students to specify intended majors, but not all student are ready to do so at the start of their studies. However, this program is similar to most US universities where students can be admitted without a declared major. In addition, the program’s foundation is a liberal arts educational approach that aims to cultivate students’ creativity, sense of globalization, interdisciplinary learning ability, critical thinking ability, and ability to innovate.